Waakye is a Ghanaian dish of cooked rice and beans. This is strikingly similar to the west indian version, 'rice and peas'. If you have ever wondered about the connection between West African and Caribbean cuisine, I would recommend you look no further than the rice dish, waakye.
below is the method for preparing Waakye
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onions, ginger, fresh pepper and garlic.
2. Then gently fry for 5-7 minutes until softened but not colored.
3. Set aside allow the vegetables to cool and blend along with the oil.
4. Put another saucepan on fire and heat oil and add tomatoes puree.
5. After 4-6 minutes, add the blended vegetables and stir continuously.
6. Add the dried fishes, powdered shrimps and herrings.
7. Add seasoning and powdered pepper.
8. Reduced the heat, stir intermittently until is dark brown.
9. Add all spices and taste for salt.
10. Allow to cool very well and put in a dry clean bottle.